Castle – Office (for rent)
The oldest building on the SugarCity site is the Castle on Haarlemmerstraatweg. This striking building is an official national monument, was designed in 1645 by the architect Pieter Post and has stood since 1648. The ‘Gemeenlandshuis Swanenburg’ was one of the historic town halls of the Rijnland Water Board and was also called ‘Kasteel Swanenburg’ or ‘Huis Zwanenburg’. The stone swans at the gate of the building are a reminder of this time.
From 1735, daily weather measurements were carried out here, and were the first weather measurements in North and South Holland.
Between 1852 and 1950, the Castle was part of the sugar factory. The interior was removed to make room for the evaporative boilers, amongst other things.
The Castle has three floors and is ideal for use as an office, business space or showroom.